Ask any Call of Duty player what the pinnacle of the franchise is and 8 out of 10 times they are almost certain to answer “CoD 4.” The other 2 times are reserved for either Modern Warfare 2 (with a “but with out” after it) or Black Ops. This is due to several reasons, some caused by nostalgia, some caused by actual truth and some (most) caused by sheer boredom of the series direction and over saturation.
Going along these lines, any Call of Duty veteran will most always follow up “CoD 4” with “original Infinity Ward.” As most know, the now infamous Activison development company has gone through more layoffs, restructuring and lawsuits than either company would care to admit.
The final outcome of said lawsuits have left Infinity Ward a shell of it’s former self and the original owners, Jason West and Vince Zampella, out to dry. The good news is, most fans know who is truly responsible for Call of Duty’s original success, and lucky for them Jason West and Vince Zampella started Respawn Entertainment shortly after their departure.
We all know Respawn Entertainment has something in the works. But aside from a (laughably) blurry “teaser” picture released eons ago, nothing is known about their assumed “CoD Killer.” With news of them finally attending E3, we can start to rationally hype what we may see.
Although we know nothing about their game, we can set a benchmark with what they have to offer on the development side of things. Getting back to that “original Infinity Ward” statement I mentioned earlier, here is a list of everyone at Respawn Entertainment who was apart of arguably (more often than not) the best installments in the Call of Duty series: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2.
- Brad Allen – Artist
- Brent McLeod – Game Designer
- Bruce Ferriz – Animator
- Chad Barb – Software Engineer
- Chad Grenier – Game Designer
- Cheng Lor – Character Technical Director
- Chris “Soupy” Dionne – Game Designer
- Chris Lambert – Software Engineer
- Drew McCoy – Systems Administrator
- Earl Hammon – Software Engineer
- Geoff Smith – Game Designer
- Jake Keating – Game Designer
- Jason McCord – Game Designer
- Jason West – President
- Jiesang Song – Software Engineer
- Joel Emslie – Artist
- Joel Gompert – Software Engineer
- John Haggerty – Software Engineer
- Jon “Slothy” Shiring – Software Engineer
- Jon Davis – Software Engineer
- Kristin Christopher – HR/Recruiting Manager
- Mackey McCandlish – Game Designer
- Mario Perez – Mocap Technician
- Mark Grigsby – Animator
- Mohammad Alavi – Game Designer
- Paul Messerly – Animator
- Preston Glenn – Game Designer
- Rayme Vinson – Software Engineer
- Richard Baker – Software Engineer
- Robert “RoBoT” Gaines – VFX Artist
- Roger Abrahamsson – Game Designer
- Ryan Lastimosa – Artist
- Sean Slayback – Game Designer
- Steve Fukuda – Game Designer
- Todd Sue – Artist
- Vince Zampella – General Manager
- Will Cho – Artist
So there you have it, the foundation for success. The team responsible for the largest first person shooter of this generation has all the talent and creativity that created the original without the constraints and limitations that have come bound to the series originality and evolution in the end.
Here is to hoping the best for Respawn Entertainment, now show us the damn game already!
Let me know what you think about Respawn Entertainment harboring what is essentially the dream team of Call of Duty’s past. Subscribe to me here or follow me on twitter @NicholasGigante.