The weather has been beautiful over the past few days, just like Spring! It’s time to enjoy and explore the outdoors with your family. A wonderful place to visit in the bay area is Hidden Villa in Los Altos, a non-profit sustainable farm.
Hidden Villa is located on 1600 acres of open space along the peninsula in the Bay Area. It is a non-profit educational organization that uses its organic farm to teach the community about the environment and social injustice. Their mission: To inspire a just and sustainable future through our programs, land and legacy.
There are several different opportunities to explore within Hidden Villa during your visit. With more than 8 miles of hiking trails through the property of Hidden Villa you will have access to the farm and the surrounding wilderness. For a $5 parking fee anyone can use the picnic grounds and use the hiking trails.
For an up close experience with the farm animals and sustainable garden, Public Programs are available during the week and weekends for all ages. There are several tours and activities scheduled for this coming weekend that include a Weekend Preschoolers Farm Series, Nature crafts and games, Morning and Afternoon Barnyard tours, and a Barnyard Babies tour.
Please visit the Hidden Villa website for details and how to register for tours and classes. Hidden Villa is open Tuesday-Sunday 9 a.m. to Dusk.
Before visiting the farm
- Prepare your children for the visit by talking to them about Hidden Villa and their purpose. Go over the Hidden Villa website with older children.
- Ask your children what they are most interested in learning about and experiencing while at the farm?
- How should they interact with the animals?
During the visit
- Be an active participant!
- Engage your children in exploring the environment and talk about what they observe.
- Remind them to respect everything around them.
- Document your visit as much as possible with video, taking pictures or jotting down quotes from your children.
After visiting Hidden Villa engage your children in a discussion about the events of the day.
- What did they like most about the visit?
- What didn’t they like about the visit?
- When should another visit be planned?
Most importantly, have fun!
Hidden Villa is located at 26870 Moody Rd. Los Altos Hills, CA 94022