One of the top features of the Apple iPhone (*asterisk denotes available on the Android) is the excellent built-in camera that enables you to take photos everywhere you go. Photo sharing tools including Instagram and Flickr iPhone allow you to upload your photos instantaneously so friends, family and followers can see what you’re up to in-the-moment.
There are a number of apps you can purchase that will brighten, straighten, rotate and enhance your images. Check out this list of FREE apps to see if you can get the job done without spending a dime.
- Adobe Photoshop Express (*Android) – Take photos directly from this app which is a mobile version of the “grown-up” Adobe Photoshop for your computer. Similar to the full-size version, with PS Express you can straighten, crop, enhance and even use a timer to get yourself in the picture. That’s something the iPhone camera app cannot do out-of-the-box.
- Camera Awesome – Absolutely one of the best free apps there hands down. Created by SmugMug (an online photo storage site) Camera Awesome takes the principals of awesome photography and builds their composition tools around them. Now anyone can “Awesomize” their pictures with just a click. It even takes you back to the future by scanning the 5 seconds before you clicked the button when taking videos. How AWESOME is that? And best of all Camera Awesome allows you to share as you click to your favorite social media apps.
- GorillaCam – This app by Joby.com is one of the coolest apps out there for your iPhone. With GorillaCam you can press the shutter to capture frame by frame and it will stitch the images to create a stop-motion video for you. You can even set a timer so you can be in the images. The app also features anti-shake to enable the best possible photo. It also takes advantage of the rapid burst mode so you can capture all of the action. One of the biggest complaints iPhone users have is the limited shutter button. But now with GorillaCam you can tap anywhere on the screen to take a photo. Be sure to check out Joby.com for some great gear like the GorillaPod to prop your iPhone for your cameos.
- Pic Stitch (*Android) – Oftentimes having just one photo in the frame doesn’t tell the complete story. That’s where Pic Stitch comes in. This wonderful free app provides over 200 storyboard layouts. Side-by-side frames are great for “Before” and “After” effects. Multiple frames are great for capturing the best shots of your child’s birthday party. Save your boards to your photo album and then share them on Flickr, Instagram or Twitter. You can even submit your images to Walgreens for in-store pickup.
- XnView Photo Fx (*XnView products for Android) – This free app makes the most of your existing photo library, and any photo you add to it. Easy to use editing tools enable you to apply stunning visual effects, artistic filters, – and even take a so-so photo and fix it up like a pro. Multi-language support makes XnView a great app for all users.
Be sure to check out these free apps and start taking incredible photos and amazing videos. Your family, friends and followers will think you’re a pro.
Adobe Photoshop Express for iPhone and Android
Adobe Photoshop Express for the iPhone and Android platforms takes images from your existing photo library. Now you can enhance, crop, rotate, brighten and sharpen your photos with just a quick swipe of your finger. Save them back to your library for later sharing.
Camera Awesome by SmugMug
Camera Awesome is one of the best camera apps out there. Created by SmugMug, one of the leading professional photo sharing and storage sites. Camera Awesome takes professional photography principles and incorporates them into their amazing arsenal of tools. With Camera Awesome you can select the Golden Fibonacci grid or rule-of-thirds to create wonderful compositions. Clean up images from your library with an array of editing tools.
GorillaCam by Joby.com
Take your still images to the next level with GorillaCam by Joby.com. This handy app allows you to create stop-motion video and with the self-timer even you can get in on the action. Check out Joby.com for gear that allows you to stabilize your camera and make professional quality photos and video.