So everyone knows that 2012 was not Taylor Kitsch’s year, he may have seen it as the year that he was going to break away from forever being known as Tim Riggins(Friday Night Lights), but it made him known as the guy with the crappy year. As someone who has watched him on Friday Night Lights, in Gospel Hill, John Carter and Battleship, I can say that his two movie flops had nothing to do with his acting. Here are a few reasons why John Carter and Battleship were unsuccessful at the box office and why Taylor Kitsch needs another chance in 2013.
- Bad commercials: Honestly, who the hell knew what John Carter was about until they heard someone talk about it? The commercial for it looked sort of exciting but I didn’t understand what was going on or where he was. The first impression of a movie is very important and if the moviegoer doesn’t know what the movie is about, then they won’t want to watch it. Unless the movie is intentionally supposed to be confusing like the Matrix, please make the commercial easy to understand.
- The names were also a problem: who is John Carter and there were aliens in the Battleship game? People didn’t know who John Carter was or why a movie was being made about him. I didn’t know until after I saw the movie that it was based on a series of books. They also looked at the game Battleship and wondered how they were going to make a movie based on it. The movie had nothing to do with the game. It could have been titled: The Navy Battles Aliens and would have explained the movie better.
- Budget: John Carter had a huge budget estimated at $250 million and needed to perform like Harry Potter big to make the money back. Think about this, in it’s opening weekend it made $30 million in North America and worldwide it made $100 million. For most movies this is good, for this movie it wasn’t because the investment was so huge. Same thing for Battleship, the budget was $209 million and needed to open Twilight huge for it to be considered a success. That is a lot of pressure for movies that were not extremely successful books.
- Star Power: I know that these movies were supposed to make Taylor Kitsch a star and big in Hollywood, but realistically his being at the helm of two huge budgeted movies was a crazy idea. They could have promoted some of the other stars in the movie who already had a huge fan base at least for Battleship but he was pretty much on his own in John Carter because he was the only sort of recognizable face.
- Not Action but Sci-Fi: At the heart of these movies aliens are the main plot points and that just doesn’t appeal to everyone. You blow up as many things as you want in a movie, but if people aren’t into sci-fi they aren’t going to like it. John Carter should have stayed John Carter of Mars and Battleship should have been retitled.
Taylor Kitsch is a good actor, I know this because he was amazing in Friday Night Lights and he was good in both John Carter and Battleship. The problems with these films had nothing to do with his acting but a whole heep of other issues. So he needs to dust himself off, chalk 2012 up to being a failure (I know I would) and find some good movies to do. Maybe he should audition for Fifty Shades of Grey, I could see him as good but twisted Christian Grey.