You’ve been friends for years. You play video games together, splash around at the beach, take naps on the couch and go eat spam musubi together. You’re so comfortable together. You’re even able to fart around each other and not be embarassed. And you’ve noticed he’s been looking pretty good lately…and she looks really good in her skinny jeans. Maybe you could be a little bit more than friends…
Before you two take things to the next level, there’s a few things you should think about.
- Have you ever been in a romantic relationship together? : If you’re exes, then going that route isn’t going to make things any easier. Unless you’re a Vulcan and able to look at life through entirely logically and emotionless eyes, things will get complicated and messy. Just know that, and go from there.
- Are there any romantic feelings between you? This too could make it messy. When you have some unrequited love and you add sex, things can start to blossom.
- Are you able to separate the act from the emotions? This is hard for anyone to do. It can be done, but if you’re a person who can’t do that, then having sex with your best friend may not be your more emotionally sound option.
- Are you ready for your relationship to change? Because it will. That’s just how it goes. Once you enter the element of getting naked together and touching each other’s wobbly bits, things pretty much have changed course. If you’re not ready to confront that, then you may not want to change the status quo.
- Are either of you in a current relationship? If you are, maybe the person in the relationship needs to decide what he or she really wants. If s/he is just looking for an out, your best friend isn’t the way to go. Plus, there’s probably going to be some undercurrents there after you’ve made with the sweet, sweet loving.
These are just five things to think about. Just remember that sexual relationships complicate situations, and do not always improve things. Also, this isn’t just a friend with benefits, this is your best friend. You have to be aware and think which is more important this relationship the way it is today or taking it to that next level.
Make sure to follow T.A. Woods on Twitter or like her Facebook page to connect, talk about topics and learn more.