Online Dating? Or, just using social networking to meet new friends? Many people have safely met people online, some have even married the person of their dreams after meeting them online.
Parents, please pay special attention to your teens to make sure they are not using age inappropriate dating sites.
Why these sites can be dangerous:
1. Some encourage photo sharing and posting status/location updates
3. Many of these sites allow you to openly chat with anyone on the site, not just your friends
Tips to be safe when meeting people online:
1. Stay away from sharing GPS location and pictures of yourself at your favorite places
2. Use only trusted dating sites that do some background checks and screening
3. Drive your own vehicle to the date and let a friend or loved one know where you will be and have a proposed “check in” time with them to let them know you are home safely
Tips for safer internet and social networking interactions: http://www.usa.gov/topics/science/communications/internet/social-network…
Kids and socializing online tips from OnguardOnline.gov: http://www.onguardonline.gov/articles/0012-kids-and-socializing-online
Better Business Bureau has tips for safer online dating: http://www.bbb.org/blog/2012/07/online-dating-tips-better-safe-than-sorry/
Safe online dating tips and how to report problems can be found at the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.