Rafael Nadal is making his comeback after being out of the tennis circuit for seven months. However, there is a possibility that he will end up pulling out of next week’s BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, Calif. ESPN reported on Feb. 27 that Nadal is hoping to play, but may have to skip this tournament to protect his knees.
The second-seeded tennis pro has blamed the hard courts on his knee injury that has kept him on the side lines this past year. Now that he is back, the Spaniard is taking precautions to protect them from further complications. With the European clay-court season coming up, he is planning his strategy early.
“My intention is to go to Indian Wells,” he said on Tuesday. “This is the truth because I love this tournament and the priority is to play. But if I don’t feel comfortable playing and decide to wait to play on the hard courts, that’s how it will be and I’ll rest for the clay-court season (in Europe). But today I can’t answer.”
Rafael Nadal said that he is still taking it day-to-day with some days being better than others. He is doing quite well as he has now advanced to the quarterfinals in the Mexican Open, so it definitely looks like he is improving. He has already tackled two tournaments so far this year, making it to the finals in Chile earlier this month and winning the Brazilian Open.