South Florida is not a stranger to bullying.
We don’t need reminders of the horrific incidents that have become synonymous with South Florida, but we do need to know that we are not going to tolerate peer cruelty anymore.
On Wednesday, February 27th, it is Pink Shirt Day. Bullying is a major problem in schools, workplaces, homes, and over the Internet. No one is immune from bullying — it can effect all age groups, from kids to adults.
Text bullying has become a serious problem among adolescents and teens. Almost 9 out of 10 teens have a cell phone and about 1 in 5 will be victims of a text bully. About 1 in 10 teens engage in text bullying.
Maybe you want to start your bullying awareness campaign by implementing anti-bullying apps offered by AT&T. There are several to choose from:
- BullyBlock – (Apple iOS, Android – $0.99) – This app captures and block bullies that are causing you and your family harm. The Bully Block app allows users to covertly record verbal threats and harassment, block inappropriate texts and pictures (e.g. sexting), and utilize auto respond features. Bully Block blocks bullies that utilize private or unknown numbers to engage in cyberbullying. Bully Block also has instant reporting features that allow the user to email or text abusive behavior to parents, teachers, HR departments, and law enforcement. All audio, messages, and calls are stored on the phone SD card.
- TipSubmitMobile – ( Apple iOS, Android – Free) – TipSubmit Mobile allows tipsters to submit secure and anonymous tips to Crime Stoppers, law enforcement agencies or school safety officers and administrators. Thousands of communities, schools and government agencies are covered by this application since it connects directly with TipSoft, the world’s largest and North America’s only, truly anonymous tip reporting system. Tipsters could receive rewards of up to $1,000 in the U.S. and up to $2,000 in Canada for information submitted to Crime Stoppers and nobody will ever know your identity.
- Bully Stop – (Android – $1.29) – This app helps protect your children from bully calls, texts and picture messages. The app gives your children the ability to block calls and messages from people they don’t want to hear from. Bully Stop uses a Block List to block unwanted callers and texters. The app maintains a password-protected call log of all attempted contact with your child so you can approach the relevant people, parents, teachers or police and show proof of the bullying communication.
- Bully Button – (Apple iOS – $0.99) – This application is for helping when the user is in trouble. It lets them record and send an email with audio attachment with text by tapping “Record and Send” button. Children can call a parent, friend or school by selecting appropriate options.
- Rindin by CrocPond – (Apple iOS – $0.99) – This anti-bullying awareness app is based on the story and DVD Rindin. It includes an animated short movie, story book and adventure game. The app encourages children to be creative, while helping them to recognize the value of tolerance and getting along.
- Bully Shield – (Apple IOS, Android – $0.99) – This app is for kids being bullied, family members who care about them, teachers and school administrators. Users can build and save an action plan to create a bully-free zone and then email the action plan to friends and family.
Learn more – printable flyer for West Palm Beach Pink Shirt Day from the Literacy Coalition.
Be sure to join in for a SEA of PINK across the county.