The Piers Morgan deportation petition that garnered over 100,000 signatures has been politely declined by the White House, who reiterated on Wednesday that despite the frustrations some have over Morgan’s comments, he should not be punished by the government for his opinions on gun control.
In the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting, Piers Morgan went on his CNN show “Piers Morgan Tonight” and made his thoughts about guns in America known to the public.
Calling the idea of more guns in the United States “madness,” Morgan angered many gun enthusiasts who were frustrated that a CNN anchor would use his show as a platform to preach his beliefs on such a polarizing issue.
It wasn’t long after that that a petition promoting Piers Morgan’s deportation was created for the White House website We the People. The White House assured Americans that they would respond to any petition that received at least 25,000 signatures.
The petition to deport Morgan topped 100,000. But that doesn’t mean Morgan’s going anywhere soon.
“Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment — or any other matter of public concern,” wrote Press Secretary Jay Carney on the White House’s blog.
Not long after Carney’s post, Morgan himself posted a link to the White House statement on his official Twitter account.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
1) Ke$ha’s song pulled from radio, singer apologizes on Twitter
2) Katt Williams says he slapped Target employee over N-word slur
3) Tantrum over burger in McDonald’s leads to assault charges
4) Boy gets $6.9 million after being molested in 2008
5) 9-year-old rapper releases Sandy Hook song ‘Stop Da Violence’
6) Crocodile leaps at the face of a swimming tourist (VIDEO)
7) NRA’s Facebook page goes dark after CT school shooting
8) Watch the touching tribute to CT school shooting victims by NBC’s ‘The Voice’
9) Joseline of ‘Love and Hip Hop Atlanta’ dances on a stripper pole
10) Rapper Tyga crashes is Lamborghini, then snaps a photo of the wrecked car
11) Spike Lee rips into ‘Django Unchained,’ but hasn’t watched the movie
12) Was the Ryan Lanza Facebook page really all just a hoax?
13) Bethenny Frankel to separate from her husband after 2 years
14) Andruw Jones arrested for battery on Christmas Day
15) Could Piers Morgan be deported for his gun control comments?
16) Ann Curry begging NBC to fire her?
17) Fantasia releases anti-gay statement on Instagram, then recants it
18) Flash mob turns ugly, massive fight breaks out in mall