February 24, 2013: Jennifer Lawrence not only brought home a “Best Actress” Oscar, she tripped up the stairs while doing so. But she’s not the only Best Actress winner to have tripped up the stairs on the way to pick up an award.
In 1969 Barbra Streisand tripped up the stairs on the bell bottoms of her then shocker of a sheer outfit after Ingmar Bergman declared, “And the winner is-it’s a tie!” Streisand’s performance in “Funny Girl” tied with Katherine Hepburn’s in “The Lion In Winter.” If she hadn’t been escorted by a man up the stairs, her fall certainly would have been just as disastrous than Lawrence’s.
The majority of Barbra’s acceptance speech is long forgotten, but the beginning is truly quotable. She stated at the statuette in her hand and said in awe, “Hello gorgeous.” She stumbled through the rest of her speech as if she didn’t even expect to win, thanking the writers of “Funny Girl” for taking long enough to write it so that she could star in it.
Her acceptance speech revealed her shock and self-deprecating air. “You guys are just standing up because you feel bad that I fell down, but thank you.” Clutching her Oscar she added, “This is nuts.”
At 22 she’s the second younger winner of the award after Marlee Matlin (then 21) won for “Children of A Lesser God” in 1987. Speaking of when she fell she uttered, “a bad word that I can’t say that starts with ‘F’.”
She may be a star, but she’s not that much of much of a lady after all. She didn’t mind making some rude gestures after accepting her Oscar. Check out the slideshow of her fall. And while Barbra may have worn a shocker gown at one time, she was the epitome of class at the Oscars singing the Oscar-winning song, “The Way We Were” in honor of celebrated composer Marvin Hamlisch who passed away last year.
- Bond at the Oscars: “Skyfall” wins Best Sound Editing, and Best Song for Adele
- ‘Skyfall’ has the most Oscar nominations of any Bond film: What will it win?
- Oscar’s best and worst moments for music and more in 2013
- Grammy best and worst moments for 2013
- Mama June is a good mother whatever you may think of ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’
- Rihanna cuddling with Chris Brown at the Grammys. What is she thinking? (Photos)
- The 55th Annual Grammy Awards: Complete list of winners
- The 55th Grammy Awards: Hot performers of the evening
- Breaking down Beyonce’s excuses about lip-synching the National Anthem