In the Tuesday, Feb. 5 episode of “New Girl,” everyone dealt with the aftermath of the Nick/Jess kiss as they ended up at a marriage convention.
So how did they handle the Nick/Jess kiss from “Cooler”? In true “New Girl” fashion, of course, and it couldn’t have been better. Both Nick (Jake Johnson) and Jess (Zooey Deschanel) were up all night after the kiss, and when they saw each other in the hall, he moonwalked away from her. She had her own moment to chicken out of talking about the kiss right after, but for her, it was in regards to telling Sam (David Walton). But how could she tell him after he asked, “How do you always look so beautiful in the morning?” They may not have been talking to each other about the kiss, but Jess did tell Cece (Hannah Simone), but the point wasn’t how the kiss was (see quotes below); it was that while Sam fixed things, Nick broke things.
And then at the convention, Winston (Lamorne Morris) found out after Nick once again moonwalked away from Jess and his reaction was a bit violent (hitting him between the legs). He didn’t want a new roommate, which he figured would happen when it all blew up in Nick’s face—and Nick would be the one moving out. Though Nick tried apologizing to Jess for the kiss, that went nowhere once she insisted it must’ve meant something to him since he kissed her. And then if things weren’t complicated enough, she brought Sam into the mess that was this convention for the group. Things didn’t go so well for the couple during an icebreaker to show how compatible people could be, something that Nick was quick to point out.
Jess and Nick ended up working together to build a table out of newspaper and tape, and while they argued about the kiss, they actually put together a very sturdy table. “Strong table, strong couple,” the woman in charge declared as it didn’t break no matter how hard Nick (and anyone else) jumped on it. Jess did tell Sam about the kiss, and Nick followed them out of the convention room and took responsibility. Sam ended things with Jess and knocked Nick to the floor, but he had one last thing to say: “Ice it 24 hours. Keep it elevated.” Back at the loft, Jess just wanted to sit and listen to Taylor Swift, but Nick tried to cheer her up by dancing along. He admitted that while he felt good since Sam felt threatened by him, it was obviously a mistake and he wouldn’t do it again. And before she went off to bed, they shared a somewhat awkward hug, proving that things aren’t just going to go back to what they used to be.
Meanwhile, Schmidt (Max Greenfield) had followed Cece to the convention and pointed out that only people who haven’t moved on say they’ve moved on. She didn’t quite believe him when he said their sex was about more than sex. But later on during the convention, in typical Schmidt-fashion, he noticed her sitting alone at her table and took the microphone, declaring India a country of “blind idiots” since they didn’t see the “brown angel” in their midst, getting her plenty of numbers and potential dates. She was still planning to marry an Indian guy, but that didn’t stop her from falling into bed with Schmidt once again (turban on).
Finally, Winston declared himself the “mojo” man after a night with Daisy that was “the best sex of his life” (according to him) and “pretty good” (according to her). However, he blamed that “mojo” when he attracted the attention of the woman in charge at the convention in a series of scenes that got more awkward and bordered on disturbing as he finally made a match of his own and found her a new man to fixate on.
- “I was like Scarlett O’Hara in my freaking curtain dress. He just like grabbed me, and he just took me, and he was a man and I was a woman. It was firm, but tender. Yeah, I mean, I saw through space and time for a minute, but that’s not the point.” –Jess on The Kiss
- “You look like the fortune teller in “Big”” and “You look like a character from the love guru.” –Winston and Cece on Schmidt’s look for the convention
- “I’m a squirrel. You’re my nut. Winter’s coming, I’m going to store you in my cheek, girl.” –Schmidt to Cece
- “Then why did the sex always end with you yelling, ‘Blam-o, that happened’?” –Cece to Schmidt
- “You were like a dog, and my mouth was like a bowl full of dog milk.” “It was like a damn fairytale that kiss. It was the best kiss of your life! …But you have to take a little responsibility, tarting around in that little soft pink robe, not expecting to get kissed. I’m a man, Jessica. Pink robes are my catnip.” ” –Jess and Nick
“New Girl” season 2 airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on FOX. What did you think of “Table 34”?
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook and Subscribe for the latest in television news.