Today, February 26, 2013, is National Pistachio Day. Yes, finally, there is a nut that has its day. But the pistachio has had more than a day lately. If anyone watched Super Bowl XLVII, the initial set of pistachio commercials got cracking with Korean pop star, Psy, singing, ‘Crackin’, Gangnam Style.’ Psy claims he loves pistachios and he loves green, so the duo may be a perfect match to increase sales for Wonderful Pistachios.
Pistachios aren’t a new creation. In fact, the little faded green nut has sprouted up in diets since 7000 B.C. The pistachio isn’t just for looks. It holds a multitude of nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, that reduce chronic illnesses.
Benefits of the pistachio include:
- According to Science Daily, the nut lowers LDL cholesterol levels, lowering lipids and lipoproteins. Pistachios also increase the good cholesterol, the HDL.
Laden in antioxidants
- The pistachio is full of antioxidants that help keep the body free of toxins. Antioxidants maintain a healthy body, keeping immunity strong and free of disease. It is high in lutein and beta-carotene which is a precursor of vitamin A.
Diabetes Type 2 prevention
- Pistachios have an abundant amount of the mineral phosphorous which aids in regulating glucose. The mineral also breaks down amino acids.
Packed with B Vitamins
- Packed with potent B6 among other B vitamins, pistachios can help keep the nervous system calm, increase red blood cells and protect the body against illness. Other B vitamins found in a pistachio include folate, riboflavin and niacin.
- Pistachios have plenty of fiber, which is needed for stable digestion. A few handfuls of pistachios holds approximately 1.5 gram of fiber. 25-30 grams of fiber is needed per day.
Smoothes the skin
- Pistachios are potent in vitamin E, gamma tocopherol, which is a great resource for the skin. They are considered a monounsaturated fat, a ‘good fat,’ one more reason to have a daily handful.
Use pistachios on salads. Top fish dishes with a pistachio crust or just eat by the handful. Whatever you decide, you will benefit from a pistachio in many ways.
‘Pistachios Offer Mutiple Benefits, Study Suggests,’; Science Daily
Psy Makes Commercial Debut: Get Crackin’