A teaser for an article at TheBlaze begins “A gay man, a lesbian and a transgender….” It sounds like the standard set-up for a joke. But instead of walking into a bar, the three raise their voices and belt out a heartfelt hallelujah.
They are members of Micah’s Rule, a Christian gospel and country group whose members practice alternative lifestyles. The Blaze’s Billy Hallowell writes that the Wilmington, N.C.-based trio has two members who are openly gay and one who is openly transgender — emphasis on “openly.”
But these attributes, he notes, aren’t highlighted in the group’s official bio. The lone male in the group, Greg McCaw, explained in an interview earlier this month with Religion News Service that Micah’s Rule isn’t preaching what it practices in the bedroom:
It’s just our back story, plain and simple, but we’re not using that as a marketing tool for our music, positively or negatively. We want to be a musical group like any other, but we realize our back story will get out.
The left-leaning website Salon includes the quote but then misleadingly adds the phrase “LGBT pride” to its headline.
Meantime, for those who think the word of God and homosexuality make for strange bedfellows, another story, this one out of Connecticut, will do little to persuade them we are not living in a strange new world. CBS News reports that the Wolcott Public School District has reversed its ruling barring a student from wearing an anti-gay T-shirt. The shirt, which features the international “no” sign suprinted above a rainbow, is shown here. The district’s acknowledgment of the right of student Seth Groody to wear the shirt came after a group brought pressure, citing Goody’s First Amendment rights. The group? The American Civil Liberties Union.
- Claim: Pope really quit because of ‘gay scandal’
- White 9-year-old driven to suicide by ‘Asian bullies’ (Photos)
- DC Comics gets flak for anti-gay writer; first LGBT Jewish book for kids (Photos)
- Whole Foods Obama chicken ad offends liberal NYC community (Photos)
- Disgrace: Pro-Obama election literature in NC used racial fear-mongering (Photos)
- DC Comics comes out with ‘Occupy: The Comic’ (Photos)
- DC Comics reveals that major superhero will be coming out of closet
- It’s official: DC Comics IDs gay superhero (Photos)
- Restaurant owner denies service to LGBT group: ‘I do not support their cause’ (Photos)
- Anti-gay marriage groups go after NY Republicans who supported law
- Coloring book showing twin towers being hit: Color me disgusted (Video)
- California passes law mandating teaching of gay history: Now what?
- Chicago values, Rahm Emanuel, and the Chick-fil-A controversy
Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook.