Recently, Vice President Joe Biden suggested that women would be able to protect themselves better with a shotgun than an AR-15. In a recent interview with “Field and Stream,” Biden doubled down on that assertion and said he told one man to “just fire the shotgun through the door” to protect his house, Jason Howerton reported at The Blaze on Wednesday.
Biden made the comment when asked about different uses for guns, like self-defense and target practice.
“Well, the way in which we measure it is — I think most scholars would say — is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, ‘Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself,’” he said.
“I said, ‘Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.’ Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semi-automatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming. We can argue whether that’s true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you. Now, granted, you can come back and say, ‘Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me.’ No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal,” he added.
Howerton said that a Texas gun shop owner refuted Biden’s claims, observing that a 12-guage shotgun is harder for some people to handle than an AR-15.
“It would be better for all-around home defense and it’s one of the most accurate guns out there,” he said of the semi-automatic weapon many Democrats want to see banned.
“As a home defense gun, a properly set up AR-15 is easier to shoot accurately and delivers more firepower than a handgun, is more precise than a shotgun, more controllable than a subgun, and is easily configured with lights, lasers and other accessories to give you further advantages over any uninvited guests who may come calling after visiting hours,” Robert H. Boatman wrote.
Biden admitted that the Constitution permits the right to keep and bear arms, but said the government “can limit the type of weapon you can own.”
“Field and Stream” also asked Biden about the argument being made by many that the ban only affects weapons with certain cosmetic features that do not affect the weapon’s functionality.
“The thing that makes it the deadliest are the size of the round and how many rounds you have in a magazine,” he replied.
According to the American Hunter, the .223 Remington is the most popular round used in the AR-15.
“It is also one of the top-selling rifle cartridges on the market, so there is a huge diversity of ammo and bullet options,” American Hunter said.
Larger rounds are available, however.
“If you care to look,” American Hunter said, “you can find guns chambered in such diverse cartridges as the .17 rimfire or the .50 BMG.”
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members, repeal of Second Amendment
- NY Democrat calls gun supporters ‘gun toting tea party psychotards’ in email
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Democratic lawmaker: Obama must ‘exploit’ murdered children to get gun control
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- GOP Rep. accuses Obama of using fake Twitter accounts in gun control fight
- Joe Biden: No law-abiding citizen ‘has any fear that their constitutional rights will be infringed’
- Oregon Democrats propose gun confiscation bill requiring warrantless inspections
- White House petition calls for Sen. Dianne Feinstein to be tried for treason
- Missouri GOP rep. uses gun confiscation bill for target practice
- Oregon state senator calls for gun registration, laughs about shooting victim
- Sheriff warns of second American revolution if gun confiscation laws pass
- New NRA ad: Politicians ‘don’t rule’ Americans or ‘give us rights’
- Company designs targets with pictures of armed children, pregnant women
- Biden claims shotgun easier for women to use than AR-15; Gun expert disagrees
- Bill by Missouri GOP Rep. would make proposing gun control legislation a felony
- Washington gun control proposal said to violate Fourth Amendment to Constitution
- Annual inspection requirement axed from Washington gun control proposal
- Mexico to ask for registry of guns in border states, national media silent
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Missouri Democrats propose law giving gun owners 90 days to turn in weapons
- Minnesota Democrats pushing gun confiscation bill similar to Missouri’s
- Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition
- Arkansas governor signs law allowing concealed guns in churches
- Iowa Democrat: Ban and confiscate semi-automatic guns
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.