After many years as the Danskin Women’s Triathlon in Pleasant Prairie, WI, in 2013 the race gets a new named sponsor. The August 11th race will now be known as the Athleta Iron Girl Pleasant Prairie Women’s Triathlon. It joins the previously announced Athleta Iron Girl Lake Zurich (IL) Women’s Triathlon, being held on June 16.
The Iron Girl triathlon held in Pleasant Prairie will be familiar to any women who have done the Danskin or Trek Triathlons there previously. The race is based at the RecPlex and Prairie Springs Park. The 1/2 mile lake swim will be in spring-fed Lake Andrea, the 12 mile bike will use local roads, and the 3.1 mile run will be within the Park. The XXtra Mile, the event management company of the Danskin Triathlon Series, will be running the race.
Now in it’s tenth year, Iron Girl added five new triathlons (besides Pleasant Prairie) to its 2013 schedule, bringing the total number of races to 18. The other new triathlons are in Clermont, FL; Austin, TX; Webster, MA.; Sandy Hook, NJ and Seattle, WA.
As host to women’s-only triathlons for over a decade, the RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie will be offering several training opportunities for those planning on doing the race:
- An Iron Girl Tri Training program for novice, intermediate, and advanced triathletes on Sunday mornings, 7-9 AM, June 30 through August 4.
- “Conquer the Open Water” Swim Workouts, Tuesday evenings, 6-7 PM, at the Lake Andrea Beach. The first session is June 4, 11, & 18 and the second session is July 23, 30, & Aug 6. The last class of both sessions will be a swim across the lake.
- Lake Andrea cross-lake swims will be held frequently during the summer, on most Thursday nights and several Saturday mornings. The current schedule is available on the RecPlex web site.
The RecPlex is also the site of the Pleasant Prairie Triathlons & Duathlon, the Pleasant Prairie Junior Triathlons, and the RecPlex Indoor Triathlon Series. Employing two USA Triathlon Certified Coaches, the facility offers year-round triathlon training, including:
- Triathlon Indoor Cycling
- Brick Training
- BYOB + T – Bring your own bike + trainer
- Intermediate-Advanced TRI Training, with Coach Andrea Hirth
- Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Training
- Indoor Triathlon prep workouts
- Half Iron / 70.3 Triathlon Training
The Pleasant Prairie RecPlex is located at 9900 Terwall Terrace, in Pleasant Prairie, WI. It is approximately 1.5 miles east of I-94, off Hwy 165, just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line.
If you would like to be notified when Coach Ken publishes an article, click “subscribe” on this page. You can also read his health and fitness answers and blog on Sharecare.com, view his Fitness & Wellness Blog, follow him on Twitter, and find his Triathlon and Wellness pages on Facebook. Coach Ken is the Chicago Wellness Examiner and the Milwaukee Triathlon Examiner.