Its time for many students to go through first semester final exams. This can be a very trying time for those trying to make the grade, and can bring about test anxiety and loss of sleep. Before sending your child off to school for finals, try helping boost brain power and prepare him or her for acing every subject. These same tips may just help you in your work life as well.
- Ensure you and your child have plenty of iron in your diet. Those low in iron have been shown to have lower cognitive function than those who have adequate intake from dietary sources such as green leafy vegetables and red meat. Don’t give supplements of iron to your child unless blood tests reveal lower than normal iron levels as this could cause medical problems.
- Serve a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Fresh water fish are rich in omega-3s and these fatty acids have been shown to help protect blood vessels and build brain cell membranes needed for clarity and focus.
- Ensure your child is well-hydrated. Many schools are now offering water bottles and access to fill ups during the school day because studies show that well-hydrated individuals have better cognitive and memory skills than those who suffer dehydration.
- Make sure your child eats breakfast every day. Skipping meals cause hunger and hunger takes their mind off of everything else. Well-fed students end up having better memory and focus. Another great way to help keep this steady is to send a mid-morning snack with your child to eat during break.
- Serve antioxidant rich curry. Curry is an Indian dish that has been studied in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Curry is attributed with keeping the brain functioning properly in memory and cognition. It has been used to help increase brain power in children and adults.
- Play mind games with your child. No, not the kind that cause problems, but the creative kind. Crosswords, Sudoku and hidden object games keep the brain sharp by promoting creativity and problem solving skills. Something that is much needed during final exams and in life.
- Limit intake of processed and treated foods. Go organic wherever you can. Studies show that organic foods support healthy brain function while dyes and pesticides have been shown to increase problems such as diminished focus and memory. This is why many pediatricians recommend avoiding processed foods in children suffering ADHD.
- Try trivia nightly. Trivia helps keep your brain focused and sharpens memory skills in the subjects your child needs such as history, English and math. Trivial Pursuit is one such game that is ideal for this.
Increasing brain function isn’t as hard as you would think. By simple tasks and exercises teemed with diet, you will find that the brain has the uncanny ability to heal, increase energy output and stave off problems that arise as we age, such as dementia. The possibilities are endless.