Some sad news has streamed in and hit the video game community. Music has a huge impact on the ears that the medium nestles itself in. Video game music helps tell the story of the game it is composed for. Heavy Rain was known for being a title that danced on the emotion of the player and David Cage, as well as the team from Quantic Dream, executed this so well.
The composer of the Heavy Rain soundtrack, Normand Corbeil, passed away yesterday at age 56. First spotted on Gaf, it was confirmed on The Cancer Forums by a user, Orly83, who is said to be Corbeil’s son, as he posted:
“My father, Normand Corbeil, 56, passed away today at 2:56 PM. He was a great composer and an amazing dad… I am in shock.”
His son’s signature on the forum reads:
“- Dad, 56, diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer August 15, 2012.
– Dad passed away January 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM.”
Corbeil was also working on Quantic Dreams’ next title, Beyond Two Souls. He recorded the Heavy Rain soundtrack at Abbey Road Studios. The track listing is as follows:
1.”Ethan Mars’ Main Theme” 3:312.”Norman Jayden’s Main Theme” 4:423.”Before the Storm” 2:554.”Madison Paige’s Main Theme” 3:315.”Scott Shelby’s Main Theme” 6:016.”Lauren Winter’s Main Theme” 3:077.”Painful Memories” 1:298.”The Chase” 1:259.”Redemption” 1:3910.”The Bulldozer” 1:3411.”High Tension” 1:1612.”The Fight” 1:3113.”The Hold Up” 1:2814.”Looking for Shaun” 1:3615.”Countdown” 1:3316.”Last Breath” 2:59
Here is a list of the movies that he has done in his time as a composer:
- 1987 : The Devil four
- 1989 : Disappear
- 1990 : Princes in Exile
- 1991 : The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- 1991 : Penfield
- 1995 : Kids of the Round Table
- 1995 : Screamers (Screamers)
- 1996 : Frankenstein and Me
- 1996 : Trailers tributes 100 years of cinema
- 1997 : Twist of Fate
- 1997 : Never Too Late
- 1997 : The Dream of Jimmy (The Kid)
- 1997 : The Assignment (The Assignment)
- 1997 : The Boys
- 1998 : Fatal Affair
- 1998 : A girl with controls (Airspeed)
- 1998 : Rescue in Wildcat Canyon (Escape from Wildcat Canyon)
- 1998 : The Boys 2
- 1999 : Double Play (Double Jeopardy)
- 2000 : The Art of War (The Art of War)
- 2000 : Reaper
- 2001 : Pretty When You Cry
- 2002 : The Gates of beyond (Living with the Dead) (TV)
- 2002 : The Extremists (Extreme Ops)
- 2003 : Great Bear (TV series)
- 2003 : Lost Junction
- 2003 : The Pentagon Papers (TV)
- 2003 : Hitler: the birth of evil (Hitler: The Rise of Evil) (TV)
- 2003 : Defending Our Kids: The Julie Posey Story (TV)
- 2003 : Crime against Humanity (The Artist)
- 2004 : A Different Loyalty
- 2004 : Napola – Elite für den Führer
- 2004 : The Five
- 2004 : Frankenstein (TV)
- 2005 : Lies My Mother Told Me (TV)
- 2005 : Human Trafficking (TV)
- 2006 : The Contract of Bruce Beresford
Here are some quotes from those who have worked with him that can explain his passion best, including words from David Cage, from Corbeil’s official website:
“The Marriage of the music and the moving image is perhaps the most powerful form of communication that exists.
I am deeply grateful for Normand’s sensitive and deeply committed contribution to my film.”
“The first notes raise the hairs on the back of my neck; Ethan’s theme fills the studio, swelling with emotion from the breath of the brass and the stroking of the strings. Ethan is born for the third time, first in the writing, secondly in the image and now in the music. This theme will give colour to Ethan’s story.”I wouldn’t give up my place for anything in the world.”
This saddens our hearts to hear this news and our condolences go out to the family he has left behind. His music will remain with all of us and we know that those who knew him will be stricken with grief – we lend our hearts to you.
Here is his tremendous score from the Heavy Rain soundtrack, titled “Painful Memories”.
To stay connected for upcoming contests, promotions, news, and reviews follow me on Twitter and Facebook. You can also click the “Subscribe” button above. Got a news tip? Send it to email@example.com.
Thank you for the tip, Kayris.
These photos were made public by Normand Corbeil through his Facebook account.