Here are some facts libertarians and other gun rights advocates want you to know about guns.
1. Gun Appreciation Day is Saturday, January 19, 2013.
2. The 2nd Amendment clearly states why we need guns: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State.” A militia is “a military force composed of ordinary citizens to provide defense, emergency law enforcement, or paramilitary service” in case the government can’t or won’t. A militia is every decent man, woman and child capable of using a gun against thugs or invading armies. We are our own ultimate defenders.
3. Gun rights are not about hunting, sport shooting or collecting. They’re about protecting ourselves from our own government. Throughout history vastly more people have been murdered by their own governments than by outside invading governments. For best examples see Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Soviet Union and Mao’s China.
4. Gun control is not about gun control. It’s about the ruling class disarming us so they can control us (see number 3 above).
5. Hoplophobia, by definition, is “an irrational, morbid fear of guns.” Irrational, phobic people cannot be reasoned with.
6. Few politicians care about guns. They care about personal power, wealth and ego. That means lobbyist money and votes. A politician representing a pro gun rights district will be pro gun rights. If he/she is redistricted into a gun control constituency that politician will become pro gun control.
7. Government gun control will be as effective as drug control, aka The Drug War; poverty control, aka The War on Poverty; and alcohol control, aka Prohibition.
8. A legitimate question is (1) are there more mass shootings today than ever before and, if so (2) why? Some want to investigate those psychotropic drugs like Adderal, Prozac and Ritalin that are forced on our schoolchildren by Big Pharma and government schools who receive extra taxpayer-funded money for every child who’s required to be on those drugs. But that’s assuming the massive multibillion dollar pharmaceutical industry, their lobbyists and the politicians who take their payoffs will even allow these drugs to be investigated.
9. Millions watch violent movies and TV shows, hear violent rap music and play violent online games. Millions do not shoot up school classrooms.
10. Shooters, not guns, are always responsible for shootings.
11. Gun Appreciation Day is Saturday, January 19, 2013.
ReasonTV: 5 facts on guns and gun violence.
Don’t miss a NATIONAL LIBERTARIAN NEWS EXAMINER article: subscribe to my email alerts and then have fun hitting all those other social media buttons too.
Libertarians! What’s happening in your area? Send me stories, photos, videos to publish in Libertarian News Examiner. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more Reed: North Texas news and commentary at Dallas Libertarian Examiner.
Also twiddling with Twitter and fiddling with Facebook.