February is closing in, and it is time to start thinking of recipes for that special day, or really any day. But Valentine’s Day gives us an excuse to eat delicious chocolately baking and not feel guilty. Here is a recipe for chocolate heart cookies from Martha Stewart that Kookie Cookies has modified to make gluten free. This is an excellent treat for people on a gluten free diet.
1 cup Kinnikinnick gluten free all purpose flour blend
½ tsp gluten free baking soda
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tbsp butter cut into pieces
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg large, lightly beaten
2 inch cookie heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Whisk flour, baking soda & cocoa powder in a bowl until combined.
2. Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and place in chocolate, butter and brown sugar. Stir until partially melted.
3. Remove bowl from heat and continue stirring until all ingredients are melted and smooth.
4. Cool slightly.
5. Add lightly beaten egg to the mixture and stir or beat with electric mixer on low until well blended.
6. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture. Dough should form a ball.
*If dough is still crumbly, add a little milk 1 teaspoon at a time until dough is a good consistency to roll. If dough is too sticky, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is a good consistency to roll.*
7. Divide dough in half and roll out to ¼” thickness on parchment paper. Repeat with other half.
8. Still on parchment paper, stack the dough on a baking sheet and chill until firm. Approximately 15-30 min.
9. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With racks on top and bottom thirds of the oven.
10. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
11. Using heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes from the dough. Re-roll scraps and cut out more heart shapes. If dough begins to soften, chill for 5 min.
12. Place heart shapes on baking sheet approximately 1” apart.
13. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes rotating half way through.
14. Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to wire cooling racks to cool completely.
Cookies can be stored for up to 5 days in an air tight container at room temperature. To freeze, place between layers of wax or parchment paper in an appropriate container.
** These cookies make a great sandwich cookie using buttercream icing.