– Big news for New England parrot fanciers: Parrot Safari Club of New England debuts Sat. 3/16 under the guidance of two of the region’s leading avicultural ladies, American Federation for Aviculture‘s northeast chair Concetta Ferragamo and world renowned bird behavioral expert Robin Shewokis, also founder of Leather Elves bird supplies in Weymouth, MA. Seminars, free wing and claw trimming (for members) and toys galore for sale are featured. Bring your birds (be prepared to clean up after them) and wear green gear for this St. Patty’s themed event. Bimonthly club meetings to be held at Best Western Executive Court Inn- Jefferson Meeting Conference Room, 13500 Willow St., Manchester, NH. $5.00 for Safari Club Members and $8.00 for nonmembers which goes toward the rental hall, rental equipment, snacks and beverages. Children under 12 free (under the responsibility of an accompanying adult). EDITOR’s note: Concetta’s parties are always a hoot.
– “Parrot Potpourri” is this examiner’s feature story in the March Pet Gazette Click on the cover image; scroll to Page 10 and click on the page image to enlarge.
– Endangered species scorecard: Day #2: First–Ever Footage of Africa’s Most Endangered Parrot Feeding in High Canopy… — Black cockatoos are in trouble: http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/_blog/Beak_Speak/post/In_Trouble_-_Three_Unique_Species_of_Black_Cockatoo/ From “Australian Bird Keeper” magazine.
– Clipping parrots’ wings – and their brains (???) http://theparrotuniversity.com/imping_parrots.php Thanks to Kathy Pierce.
–“Galah”is a slang word in Australia for stupid. Like America’s now extinct Carolina parakeet, the galah (rose breasted cockatoo) will come to assist their injured friends or mourn the death of a flockmate- making it easier to kill greater numbers of the birds. As Marc Johnson of Foster Parrot points out, ironically, this is a show of intelligence and compassion – not stupididty.
– America’s parrots got talent: Snowball (TM) on Animal Planets Most Outrageous … – YouTube From Fran Giallorenzi –I’m Disco and I Know It! – YouTube is from Feathered Sanctuary–More Best Parrot Videos Bad Boy Beat Boxing African Grey videos »The best African Grey Parrot Videos | Congo African Gray …is from Emmet Renshaw. — Parrot Haven Cockatiels sing and dance to “Rio” Mar 1, 2013 8:57pm — Dancing parrot – YouTube Thanks to Viki Bullock. –Delbert -The Singing Amazon Parrot. From Barbara Heidenriech. –George the quaker parrot sings the blues – YouTube From Emmett Renshaw –Rosita learned to turn on the sink all by herself and then tak… From Dawn Korpalski.
– Prurient interest section: “Sexual Behavior in Companion Parrots”is the most popular of Sally Blanchard‘s12 pdf publications under $10 https://companionparrotonline.com/Parrots_made_EZ.html also “GREY MATTER: The World According to Bongo Marie“; https://companionparrotonline.com/Bongo_World.htm
– A mynah bird in Jinan in northern China is pals with a dog. Owner Qiao Yu built a perch that the bird rides on the dog’s back. He says the dog barks if anyone approaches the mynah. The mynah returns the favor by catching fleas on the dog and combing its hair while it sleeps. From Michael Motta. (“From the parrot’s beak” does not recommend mixing birds with cats or dogs; which despite this story, often ends up tragically for the bird.)
– Parrot joke: A man went to an auction where he bid on a parrot. He really wanted this bird, so he got caught up in the bidding, but kept getting outbid, so he bid higher and higher and higher. Finally, after he bid way more than he intended, he won the bid – the parrot was his at last!As he was paying, he said to the auctioneer, “I sure hope this parrot can talk. I would hate to have paid this much for it, only to find out that he can’t talk!” “Don’t worry.” said the auctioneer, “He can talk. Who do you think kept bidding against you?” Thanks to Dawn Korpalski.
– Happily ever after: Sarah Purdie of Devon, England went to answer an urgent tapping at her door; discovering Bobby, an eclectus; looking up at her. Says the 41 year old mother, “I was wondering if it was real.” She put a box over the bird and contacted the local animal welfare group who happened to have a description of a missing bird that matched. Margita, Bobby’s owner, of Elfordleigh was moved to tears on being reunited with her feathered friend. From Elke Hanna.
– Red tail black cockatoo Naso mating display. is from Diane Dwyer.
– Ask the experts: The top 10 household hazards to pet birds (according to Dr. Karen Becker DVM, not David Letterman!) http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/06/28/ensure-your-pet-birds-safety-in-10-simple-steps.aspx From Yvonne Leusse England. — “Parrot Behavior and Training Workshop” with Barbara Heidenreich in Pineville, NC, 8/10-11.Hosted by Parrot University http://www.parrotu.com/. For more information contact Karen Justice at email@example.com Video from Barbara, Dr. Clubb and Michelle Goodman for new parrot owners. http://youtu.be/zbhhAFVJjE8– A snip, snip here, a chop, chop there: video demo on chop dish for parrots. http://parrotnation.com/2010/08/08/chop-shot-by-shot/ From Patricia Sund.– section – JUST ASK “Australian BirdKeeper”‘s new section if you have a question. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or send to PO Box 2330, Burleigh BC QLD 4220. Mark email or letter ‘Just Ask’ and give your name and address details.
– A dancing macaw is featured in a new Burger King commercial celebrating the Whopper Jr.
– Clubbin’: Connecticut’s The Parrot Club hosts northeast AFA chair Concetta Ferragamo speaking on “Pimping out your Bird’s Cage” at their March 12 meeting. (My, that Concetta really gets around. But don’t you think that seminar title is just a tad politically incorrect, Concetta? Hmmmm?) http://www.courant.com/community/hc-community-articleresults,0,5942637,results.formprofile?Query=71776HC–Arizona Aviculture meets 3/9 at Faith United Methodist Church, 8640 19th Ave., Phoenix; featuring a guest speaker from the Arizona Budgie Society. — Lara Joseph to hold a workshop at Wheaton College, Norton MA sponsored by Parrot Emporium, Southwick’s Zoo, and The Wheaton College Tribeta Biological Honor Society. on Sat. 4/6- Deadline to reserve a space is March 23 — Lara will also be at the Midwest Bird Expo on May 21 http://www.midwestbirdexpo.com/index2.html
– Showtime: Southeast Tennessee Aviculture Society Exotic Bird Fair, Athens Regional Park, 2405 Decatur Pike, Athens, TN – Sat. 3/9 9-5, Sun. 3/10 10-4- 423-472-1306 – email@example.com — Hernando Exotic Bird Club 15th Annual Bird Mart – Hernando County Fairgrounds, 6436 Broad St, Brooksville, FL 3/10- 9-4- 727-856-3587 – firstname.lastname@example.org — Smoky Mountain Cage Bird Society‘s Spring Festival is Sat. 3/16 9-5 and Sunday 3/17 9-4 at the Collett Street Recreation Center, 300 Collett Street, Morganton, NC. $2.00 admission – FREE for under 12 and over 65– Sun. 3/17 Mass. Cage Bird Association Sun. 3/17 9-3, Holiday Inn Wedgewood room, 31 Hampshire St., Mansfield, MA 508-479-2789- Free parking and admission.
– Rescue me: Foster Parrots in Hope Valley RI has established an Adoption Center where applicants and parrots can get to know one another. — “Change for Wings” Spare Change for Rescue/Sanctuary Birds — Parrot Troopers offering Parrot Play World’s Centurian or Molluccas Hanging Gyms for their March Raffle to benefit Florida Parrot Rescue! Open to US and Canada residents only! Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5. Drawing is 3/30 9 pm EST. Order through http://www.youcaring.com/adoption-fundraiser/Parrot-Troopers-March-Madness-Raffle/44444 or Paypal to email@example.com — The Faces of Heroes – YouTube comes to us via Feathered Sanctuary.– I.A.A.T.E. – International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators has approved a grant of over $4000 to the Kakapo Recovery – The Official Site conservation efforts! reported by Barbara Heidenreich.
– The (un)civil war among bird interests rages on: Round One: A prominent veterinarian and bird club member, who asks to remain anonymous; says:”The comments about the slippery slope of bird legislation remind me of those concerning gun ownership. Just as people fear that any bird legislation to help birds receiving substandard care and wild parrots suffering huge population losses will lead to all bird ownership being outlawed, so the gun establishment fears that banning assault rifles, large magazines, and unregistered guns being sold at gun shows will outlaw all guns. Totally absurd on both counts. And meanwhile birds and humans continue to suffer.” The Winged Defense League vs. allegedly unscrupulous bird “rescues” in Round 2 and offers some advice: “There are those involved in exotic bird rescue that put the public donations in to their own pockets. They skip basic avian needs. The gut wrenching photos and pathetic stories on some of their Facebook pages work. Make multiple visits to the establishment. Ask what back-up plans they have in place should their rescue close its doors. Develop a relationship with the person/rescue you are considering. Determine whether you want a sanctuary or responsible rehoming. Inquire as to how they follow-up on the birds they place. Get permission to consult with their avian certified veterinarian. See who graces their Board of Directors. Ask if they have any corporate sponsors. Volunteer if you are able before you come to the point of surrendering you bird(s)”.