– “Snowball the Dancing Cockatoo” is the new book coming out by naturalist/ “Boston Globe” contributor Sy Montgomery; based on the true story of the cockatoo whose dancing to Stevie Nicks, Backstreet Boys, etc.; became the basis for scientific study and a conclusion that parrots are among a select group of animals, including humans, who literally move in sync to rhythm. Snowball is companion to Irena Schulz.
– New Zealand’s kea parrots live comfortably in snowy regions. They have been known to attack and eat mutton on the hoof- and that’s not all they’ll attack. Franz Josef Glacier – Kea attempting to dismantle a car – YouTube Thanks to Irena Schulz. — The intelligent bird used to have a bounty on its head for its sheep attacking proclivity, but now faces a new threat.Braniac parrots threatened by widespread lead poisoning – Yahoo … Thanks to Viki Bullock.
– What we can learn from 900 year old kakapo dung, speaking of New Zealand parrots. http://ow.ly/h4yLw Thanks to Brent Rodriguez.
– Mass. man charged in parrot theft – FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston Fom Viki Bullock.
– Encouraged by the Center for Biological Diversity‘s International Birds Initiative, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently proposed to protect Bolivia’s blue-throated macaw under the Endangered Species Act. The Center has been working to protect scores of exotic avians since ’03.
– Nuts to you: Peanuts are often contaminated with aflatoxin, a fungal toxin which is carcinogenic and causes liver damage in birds. Peanuts with dark spots are suspect; but even those that look perfect, are organic, are “human grade” and/or have been roasted could be contaminated. Safe nut alternatives include almonds, walnuts, pine nuts and pistachios. If you cannot resist giving your parrot a peanut, some recommend feeding only out of shell, dry roasted and unsalted peanuts and only tiny pieces for positive reinforcement when training to reward desired behavior. From Dawn Korpalski
– Savannah and Steve Martin – YouTube An African grey and no, not the first “wild and crazy” guy that might spring to mind.
– Dom Deluise and the Parrot on Vimeo this time, yes; THAT Dom Deluise. The late comedian,btw; left a generous donation in his will to a parrot sanctuary.
– The ARA Project in Costa Rica needs urgent help. One of the most important great green and scarlet macaw conservation projects in Central America, which is re-introducing these macaws into the wild, is threatened because they are to be evicted from their current property. and need financial help to relocate the installations and 200+ macaws. www.thearaproject.org
– Parrot Nail Filing – YouTube From Dawn Korpalski.
– The Parrot Experience is a FREE program where participants may hold, learn and take photos of live parrots, with the assistance of former “Bird Talk” writer Sally Blanchard Sat. 1/26 from 1-4 at The (Weld County) Garage, 2699 47th Ave., Greeley, CO.
– Arizona Aviculture Society sponsors a Winter Bird Mart. 1/27; 9-3. at El Zaribah Shrine Auditorium 552 N. 40th st, Phoenix.
– Bird people news: Patrica Sund, of “Bird Talk” and “Parrot Nation” presents a chop workshop at PSA Art Awakenings in Phoenix, AZ on 2/17 from 1-4. There will be a bird on a bike (???) out front to guide you to the correct room. To register go to www.arizonaseedcrackersociety.org.– Parrot enrichment specialist Robin Shewokis recently spoke at Arizona Seed Crackers Society. She is also the founder of Leather Elves bird toys and supplies-of Weymouth, MA.http://www.theleatherelves.com/ Next stop: Houston Parrot Festival.
– Sugar Needs Your Help!! Miami Valley Bird Club & Rescue was contacted on 1/6 about Sugar an Umbrella Cockatoo who had medical issues, and needed to be re-homed. Donations may be sent to:Miami Valley Bird Club & Rescue’s Sugar Dayton South Veterinary Clinic 3200 Wilmington Pike Kettering, Ohio 45429
– Radio interview with Tracy Gourd, recently deceased former manager of Parrot Safari of Londonderry, NH. https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/yFwI6xB-qW/ParrotSafariRadioInter…
– British birds lost and found: Help find Pepe the Parrot | Local news from Stafford and Staffordshirewww.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/News/Lost–parrot-in-Stafford–140…— Bid to find owner of green parrot on loose near Carlisle – News &
– What’s louder than a cockatoo in a cage? Two ‘toos in a cage named Miranda and Peaches! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6ma2zEwVg&feature=share From Linda Bringle Pearl.
– Somewhere over the… rainbow lorikeets consist of several species and subspecies, as Sally Blanchard explains https://companionparrotonline.com/Parrot_Species_Profiles.html
– Readin’ material: World Parrot Trust‘s “Flock Talk” newsletter includes > Species Profile: Black-capped Lory , > Ask An Expert Feature: Dr. Ellen Cook and > Test Your Parrot IQ. — Grab yourself a bird behavior DVD by Barbara Heidenreich and “Birdkeeper” magazine will “shout” the postage (apparently, that’s Aussie for cover the postage free)! Choose your DVD at http://www.birdkeeper.com.au/bird-dvds/dvd81-the-basics-of-parrot-training, pop discount code FBDVDBB6 in the discount box and click ‘apply’. Offer ends this Sun. 1/27/13. — Sally Blanchard‘s online “Companion Parrot Newsletter #12” is just out, as is — “Winged Things” by Karen Wingrove.-– BirdProfile is a social network website, translated in 14 languages. Users can publish their birds’ information to a wide audience. .www.birdprofile.com/help/en/index.php
– Win a cool toy for your bird and help rescue parrots: http://featheredsanctuaryraffle.chipin.com/feathered-sanctuary-exotic-bird-rescue