Earlier this week, a Georgia woman visited a local Wendy’s restaurant and ordered some food to go. Upon taking a bite of her burger, she realized she had also taken a bite of a joint, which was placed inside the bun. The woman suffered from food poisoning-type symptoms, and the employee was promptly fired. Hearing stories like this makes us wonder exactly what we’re putting into our mouths though. Trust us – this story is tame compared to some of the others in the accompanying list in this article.
The Swedish furniture king, IKEA, is not only known for their fashionable and affordable merchandise but also their tasty Swedish dishes. IKEA’s food court draws just as many if not more patrons than their furniture. February 25, 2013, the food labeling scandal enveloping across Europe sucked IKEA in as authorities are said to have found horse meat in their frozen meatballs and labeled as beef or pork. These packages were distributed to 13 countries throughout the continent but the US is said not to have received any of these packages.
The Czech Veterinary Administration said that packs of the frozen meatballs, made in Sweden, were shipped to the Czech Republic for sale in IKEA stores and were found to have horse meat. A whopping total of 1,675 pounds of the meatballs were stopped from reaching store shelves. Meatballs from the same batch, it is said, have gone out to Slovakia, Hungary, France, Britain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus and Ireland. Other shipments are said not to be affected although they come from the same supplier. IKEA spokeswoman, Ylvan Magnusson, says, “Our global recommendation is not to recall or stop selling meatballs.” As reported by Karl Ritter.
See more fast food horror stories in the list at the top of this article.
Wendy’s Weed burger
Wendy’s is known as a “burger joint,” but who takes that literally? Evidently a reefer-smoking ex-employee at a Wendy’s restaurant in Ga. does, who said she “accidentally” left her blunt stuffed inside of a customer’s cheeseburger. Read the full story here.
Taco Bell taco licker
Taco Bell was thrown into the headlines this week when a photo of an employee licking a stack of taco shells went viral.
Taco Bell immediately stepped into damage control mode, with a company spokesperson issuing a statement letting customers know the situation is being dealt with.
In 2013, the Furniture giant is in the media spotlight as Czech Republic has detected horse meat in the company’s frozen meatballs and the packages were labeled as pork and beef. The famed swedish meatballs that patrons love during a shopping break is believed to have been sent to stores within 13 countries across the European continent. IKEA says the affected packages are not a global issue and a global recall is not in order.
In 2005, a NYC Police Officer found an extra topping with his Big Mac. Shards of glass were crushed and place in the officers burger. The officer discovered this topping too late as he bit into his burger and suffered broken teeth, cuts to his mouth and throat. An 18 year-old employee, with a disdain for the NYPD, was the culprit and was later arrested and charged with felony assault. While the officer sued for $5.5 million.
In 2008, Subway had to deal with a serious situation when a patron’s sub contained a 7-inch rusty knife. The 27 year-old Queens, NY customer ordered a “12-inch Cold Cut Combo” and after a few bites into his sandwich he noticed the object protruding out. It seems, the knife was baked into the bread and sticking out from the bread’s crust. He luckily found the odd addition before causing severe damage to himself.
In 2006, Taco Bell hit the media when a customer claimed smears of red sauce all over her order. The woman and her 1 year-old daughter were already home with their meal when she discovered the substance, which appeared to be blood. She called the Louisville KFC/Taco Bell where she purchased her food and was told that an employee had cut her finger. She then contacted a lawyer and the health department.
In 2002, a Colorado family became infected with Salmonella after eating at a local KFC.The children suffered severe cramping, diarrhea, and vomiting throughout the course of their salmonella infections, and their two-year-old was hospitalized for dehydration. He subsequently underwent surgery to remove hernias which were brought on by strain from his constant diarrhea and vomiting.
Jack in the Box
In 1981, Horse meat labeled as beef was discovered at a plant that supplied taco and hamburger meat to Jack in the Box. The meat was originally from Australia, checks at the location lead inspectors to other shipments for the US that contained kangaroo meat. Also in 1993, the fast food chain was hit with crisis when hundreds of people were infected with E. coli. Four children died and 600 people were sick after eating under cooked patties. This lead to a revamp in the chain’s cooking and food handling procedures.
In 2009, an oil company worker took a break to have a Mountain Dew out of the company’s vending machine. To his disbelief after a swig he was disgusted by the discovery of a dead mouse in his can. He would pour the contents into a cup revealing the drowned rodent and with legal representation he filed for $50,000 against Pepsico. Pepsico’s response was that it was impossible because the rodent would have been dissolved by the ingredients in Mountain Dew. Very reassuring.
In 2012, an unsuspecting teenager began enjoying his sandwich at Arby’s in Michigan when he disturbingly found a new meaning to “Finger Food”. An ill-placed object he had to spit out, turned out to be a human finger. The 14 year-old was eating a roast beef sandwich when he bit into something he described as “rubbery”. A worker cut their finger on a meat slicer and left the area. No other employee was aware of the incident until the finger was found.
In 2007, a Virginia woman was eating an order of McDonald’s chicken wings when she was face to face with a fried surprise. Complete with beak and eyes the woman found a fried chicken head in her order. The customer was preparing the chicken on a plate for her children when the fully shaped head fell out of the box.
In 2005, Wendy’s had to do damage control when a patron claimed to find a human finger in her Wendy’s Chilli. It was proven that the patron set the whole thing up to drum up a lawsuit against Wendy’s in hopes of striking rich. The woman planted an inch and a half of a ring finger, which she paid a man $100 for, into her bowl of chilli. She was charged and served 4 years.
McCormick & Schmicks
In 2004, a woman eating at this seafood restaurant found a rolled up condom in her Clam Chowder. Not the flavoring she was expecting in her dining experience. She’s quite lucky to have spotted it before swallowing it. The woman sued for emotional distress, a settlement was reached under confidential terms.