The Joslyn Art Museum is an exceptional place for people of all ages to learn about and appreciate art through the extensive permanent collection and intriguing temporary exhibits. Even the building itself is a work of art, made up of 38 different marbles from around the world.
Joslyn Art Museum was given to Omaha by Sarah H. Joslyn, in memory of her husband, George A. Joslyn with the intent to share music and art with the people of Omaha.
Educational opportunities at Josyln Art Museum come from browsing the many galleries within the museum, gaining inspiration from the array of artistic styles and mediums displayed, learning about history through the artwork and guided tours, checking out art packs from the Scott EdTech Gallery, as well as participation in the classes provided by the museum.
With the permanent collections people can come back time and time again to learn about and appreciate specific works of art. The museum also caters to those who prefer to see and learn something new by offering temporary exhibits throughout the year.
Educational Opportunities provided by Joslyn include:
- Art Adventures for preschoolers
- Kids classes
- Adult and teen classes
- Art Camps
- Art School
- Home School Art School
- Special Art Series
- Saturday Surprise (every other Saturday)
- Story Adventures (monthly)
- Art Packs (to use while exploring the museum)
- Special Events for Teens
- JAMbassadors (volunteer opportunities for teens)
Teacher resources include:
- School Visits (Including Home School Days for homeschooling families.)
- Curriculum Resources (Including outreach trunks for both schools and home school families, and teacher guides.)
- Teacher Workshops (These are for classroom teachers, please call (402) 661-3847 for details.)
- Distance Learning
The museum hours are:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, 10-4 p.m.
Thursday, 10-8 p.m.
Sunday, noon-4 p.m.
Closed Mondays and major holidays.
Hours may change for special exhibitions.
Admission (prices as of January 2013):
- $8 adults
- $6 senior citizens (62 and older) & college students (with valid ID)
- $5 age 5-17
- Free admission for ages four and younger and Joslyn members.
- Free general admission, Saturdays, 10 a.m.–noon
- Discounted admission for general public every week during late until 8 (Thursdays, 4-8 p.m.). Just $5!
- Additional charge for some special exhibitions.
**Click here for details on group rates and scheduling.
Joslyn Art Museum’s Peter Kiewit Foundation Sculpture Garden and the kid friendly Discovery Garden are open year-round from 7-11 p.m. every day, and admission is free.
Joslyn Art Museum is located at 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE 68102-1292.
Call for more information at (402) 342-3300.