On Monday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell that semi-automatic rifles are personal pleasures for gun owners that need to be set aside for the “general welfare,” The Blaze reported Tuesday.
“The mothers, the women, the men of America have to make a decision as to whether their personal pleasure is more important than the general welfare,” she told Mitchell.
Feinstein said that Senate Democrats have a hearing on her bill Wednesday and she believes her proposal is constitutional.
“We have a number of witnesses. I think we will make the case that this is constitutional,” she added.
The California Democrat told Mitchell she has been working on the bill for a year and said that it’s a “complicated” bill because it exempts some 2,200 weapons by make and model.
“I’ve tried to do it carefully. We have 22 co-sponsors. I recognize it’s an uphill battle. But I also know that these events are going to continue and America has to step up. The mothers, the women, the men of America have to make a decision as to whether their personal pleasure is more important than the general welfare,” she added.
“Grievance killers look for these weapons,” she said. “These weapons are easy to obtain. There are no background checks. You can buy them out of a back of a car, at a gun show. America’s laws are virtually nonexistent and, therefore, I think this is a good bill.”
But FBI crime statistics show that far more people are killed with blunt objects than rifles, and handguns — not semi-automatic rifles — are used in the vast majority of gun-related murders.
Even if the bill fails, Feinstein said she would continue the fight.
“I did it once before. If it doesn’t get done right now, be assured I will continue to press the case,” she said.
Across the country, Democrats have put forward proposals that call for, among other things, confiscation of so-called “assault weapons” and large-capacity magazines.
- GOP Rep. accuses Obama of using fake Twitter accounts in gun control fight
- Joe Biden: No law-abiding citizen ‘has any fear that their constitutional rights will be infringed’
- Oregon Democrats propose gun confiscation bill requiring warrantless inspections
- White House petition calls for Sen. Dianne Feinstein to be tried for treason
- Missouri GOP rep. uses gun confiscation bill for target practice
- Oregon state senator calls for gun registration, laughs about shooting victim
- Sheriff warns of second American revolution if gun confiscation laws pass
- New NRA ad: Politicians ‘don’t rule’ Americans or ‘give us rights’
- Company designs targets with pictures of armed children, pregnant women
- Biden claims shotgun easier for women to use than AR-15; Gun expert disagrees
- Bill by Missouri GOP Rep. would make proposing gun control legislation a felony
- Washington gun control proposal said to violate Fourth Amendment to Constitution
- Annual inspection requirement axed from Washington gun control proposal
- Mexico to ask for registry of guns in border states, national media silent
- Communist Party USA backs Obama gun grab, calls Second Amendment obsolete
- Missouri Democrats propose law giving gun owners 90 days to turn in weapons
- Minnesota Democrats pushing gun confiscation bill similar to Missouri’s
- Wisconsin Democrats circulate legislation to ban hunting ammunition
- Arkansas governor signs law allowing concealed guns in churches
- Iowa Democrat: Ban and confiscate semi-automatic guns
- NY Democrat begs Republican to keep gun confiscation proposal from public
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Liberals, media engage in propaganda to demonize law-abiding gun owners
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.