It is an understatement to say Cindy Harriman is a huge Civil War fan. She has documented 17 ancestors who fought in the Civil War and she is the Executive Director of the Texas Civil War Museum in Fort Worth, the largest Civil War museum west of the Mississippi.
The museum is made up of four collections. There are the Union and Confederate war artifacts from the Ray Richey military collection, the Texas Confederate Museum collection of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the Judy Richey collection of Victorian dresses, and the collection of items that members of the public donate to the museum. There is also a movie theatre and the Magnolia Mercantile gift shop.
Because the museum has a focus on Civil War history and not genealogy, they are not a research facility. However, Harriman said they try to steer genealogists toward several resources that might be of help. These are her recommendations.
- Broadfoot Publishing Soldier Service and Unit Records (fee based service for Confederate and Union searches), Wilmington, N.C., firstname.lastname@example.org , 910-686-4816
- Confederate Graves Registry, Sons of Confederate Veterans
- “Confederate P.O.W.’s: Soldiers & Sailors Who Died in Federal Prisons & Military Hospitals in the North,” edited by Frances Ingmire and Carolyn Ericson, available at Ericson Books
- National Archives and Record Administration, College Park, Md.
- National Archives Fort Worth, Fort Worth, Texas
- National Historical Publishing Company, Waynesboro, Tenn. publishes books based on materials found in the National Archives in Washington, D.C. email@example.com
- Sons of Confederate Veterans Texas Division
- Texas Division United Daughters of the Confederacy Ancestor Rosters, Volumes I-V, Richmond, Va., 804-335-1636, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Texas Heritage Museum, Historical Research Center at Hill College, Hillsboro, Texas. They offer name-based ancestor research for a fee.
- Texas State Library and Archives, Austin, Texas
The Texas Civil War Museum is located at 760 Jim Wright Freeway North, Fort Worth, Texas 76108, 817-246-2323. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday and closed major holidays. Email them at email@example.com or visit their Facebook page for information on upcoming events.
To receive email alerts when a new article is posted, click on the “Subscribe” button next to my photo and bio, located at the bottom of this page or at the top of my main articles page. Follow me on Twitter: @ancestrysleuth to get other genealogy news. I am also the National Hobbies Examiner and write about people and their favorite hobbies. Follow me @funhobby for more hobby news. Other links of interest: