Tenth-ranked Oregon State wrestling defeated No. 7 Cornell University, 23-20, in front of 3,029 fans at Newman Arena in Ithaca, N.Y. Sunday afternoon.
The key ingredient in the Beavers beating the Big Red was in the last match, where Chad Hanke’s end-of-match pin helped Oregon State secure a come-from-behind win.
When asked about his role in the upset victory, Hanke said, “That’s everybody’s dream when they get into college wrestling, to have a situation like that where it comes down to you, winning a big match in a big way. I just happened to be the last guy wrestling and it was a whole team effort. Everybody had to do their part to get me in that situation and I am just grateful that I got the pin and we got the win.”
Bonus points were a factor in an incredible seven out of ten matches. In addition to Hanke’s fall, Oregon State got back-to-back major decisions from Scott Sakaguchi and R.J. Pena at 149 and 157 pounds, respectively. Cornell scored bonus points in four bouts, including a pin by 2012 NCAA champ Steve Bosak at 184 pounds, technical falls by Nahshon Garrett and Kyle Dake at 125 and 165, respectively, and Duke Pickett’s major decision at 174.
“We knew this was going to be a fight,” said Oregon State head coach Jim Zalesky. “We knew the way Cornell matched up with us, we thought maybe on paper it might be five-five. The thing that kept them in the match was scoring a lot of bonus points. They have some guys who can score bonus points like (Kyle) Dake and (Steve) Bosak and we gave up some bonus points at 125 and 174 that maybe we weren’t expecting, so bonus points are big in a dual meet.”
With the win, Oregon State is now 7-3 for the season, while Cornell drops to 9-3 overall.
- 125: No. 7 Nahshon Garrett (Cornell) tech fall Joey Palmer (Oregon St.), 21-3 (6:26)
- 133: Drew Van Anrooy (Oregon St.) dec. Bricker Dixon (Cornell), 6-1
- 141 – No. 4 Mike Mangrum (Oregon St.) dec No. 6 Mike Nevinger (Cornell), 5-0
- 149: No. 7 Scott Sakaguchi (Oregon St.) maj. dec. No. 14 Chris Villalonga (Cornell), 11-3
- 157: No. 11 R.J. Pena (Oregon St.) maj. dec. Jesse Shanaman (Cornell), 16-5
- 165: No. 1 Kyle Dake (Cornell) tech fall Seth Thomas (Oregon St.), 19-3 (6:21)
- 174: Duke Pickett (Cornell) maj. dec. Austin Morehead (Oregon St.), 16-4
- 184: No. 4 Steve Bosak (Cornell) pinned Brian Engdahl (Oregon St.), 2:24
- 197: No. 8 Taylor Meeks (Oregon St.) dec. Bill George (Cornell), 3-1
- Hwt: No. 4 Chad Hanke (Oregon St.) pinned Jace Bennett (Cornell), 6:27
Get both sides now: See how the Oregon State website and Cornell wrestling describe the Beavers-Big Red dual meet.
The college wrestling season is here! Keep up with all the developments in the sport year round… by clicking the “sign up” button at the top of the page — or click on the Twitter link below — to make sure you don’t miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter