MMA fighter Lisa Ellis tweeted on Jan. 5 that Leslie “The Peacemaker” Smith suffered a wardrobe malfunction during her Invicta FC 4 fight against Raquel Pennington.
“Oh no!!! Is Leslie Smith having a Janet Jackson moment @InvictaFights wardrobe malfunction!!” Ellis wrote.
The malfunction happened when Pennington had Smith clinched up against the cage towards the end of the first round of their scrap. Smith’s bra popped up in the waning seconds of the opening frame, which momentarily exposed private areas of her upper body to the crowd at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan., and to thousands of viewers who were streaming the event online.
Smith was wearing an extremely small bra, but she clearly did not expose herself on purpose.
Color commentator Julie Kedzie did not ignore the incident, as she mentioned to the viewers at home that the wardrobe malfunction would be corrected heading into the second round.
Smith made it through the rest of the fight without suffering another wardrobe malfunction.
Smith, who moved to 5-2-1 with the victory, engaged Raquel “Rocky” Pennington (3-3) of Colorado Springs, Colo. in a three-round firefight, out-slugging her opponent to earn a unanimous decision victory in bantamweight action.
Invicta FC 4: Esparza vs. Hyatt Results:
- Carla Esparza def. Bec Hyatt via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Alexis Davis def. Shayna Baszler via technical submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, :58
- Leslie Smith def. Raquel Pennington via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Sarah D’Alelio def. Amanda Nunes via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Ediane Gomes def. Hiroko Yamanaka via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Joanne Calderwood def. Livia Von Plettenberg via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Cassie Rodish def. Stephanie Frausto via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 1:04
- Tamikka Brents def. Amanda Bell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jodie Esquibel def. Liz McCarthy via majority decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Rose Namajunas def. Emily Kagan via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 3:44
- Tecia Torres def. Paige Van Zant via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Veronica Rothenhausler def. Katalina Malungahu via KO (punch) – Round 1, 1:12
- Laura Marcusse-Sanko def. Cassie Robb via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:07